The Expert Working Group on the EU (Withdrawal) Bill and the Rule of Law was launched on 9 October 2017, in partnership with the UCL Constitution Unit. The purpose of the group is to consider the implications of the Bill for the rule of law and to generate informed discussion about the most significant rule of law issues raised by the Bill in order to inform debates about it, and how it could be improved, in parliament and among the wider public.
Meetings and Papers
Discussion Papers and outcome documents are available here.
Read the Expert Working Group's Terms of Reference: View Document
***NEW*** Read the Bingham Centre Report - 'The Withdrawal Agreement and the Political Declaration: A Preliminary Rule of Law Analysis' (October 2018)
Read the Bingham Centre Report on EU (Withdrawal) Bill Clauses 1-6 here
A press release on the launch of the Working Group is available here.
Questions about the Group should be sent to Dr Jack Simson Caird.
The Expert Working Group is chaired by The Rt Hon Dominic Grieve QC MP.
The members of the Expert Working Group are:
- Sir David Anderson KBE QC (Visiting Professor in EU Law at King's College, London and former Independent Reviewer of Terrorism Legislation)
- Professor Catherine Barnard (Professor of EU Law, University of Cambridge)
- Sir David Beamish KCB (former Clerk of the Parliaments)
- Joel Blackwell (Hansard Society)
- Andrea Coomber (Director of JUSTICE)
- Professor Paul Craig (Professor in English Law, University of Oxford)
- Professor Sionaidh Douglas-Scott (Anniversary Chair in Law, Co-Director at the Centre for Law and Society in a Global Context, Queen Mary University of London)
- Ruth Fox (Director, Hansard Society)
- Caoilfhionn Gallagher QC (Doughty Street Chambers)
- Professor Graham Gee (Professor of Public Law, Sheffield University)
- Paul Hardy (DLA Piper, former Legal Adviser to the House of Commons European Scrutiny Committee and the House of Lords EU Committee)
- Swee Leng Harris (Co-Ordinator, APPG on the Rule of Law)
- Jo Hickman (Director, Public Law Project)
- Murray Hunt (Director, Bingham Centre for the Rule of Law and former legal adviser to the UK Parliament's Joint Committee on Human Rights)
- The Rt Hon Lord Judge (former Lord Chief Justice)
- Sir Stephen Laws KCB QC (former First Parliamentary Counsel)
- Lord Lisvane KCB DL (former Clerk of the House of Commons)
- Professor John McEldowney (Professor of Law, University of Warwick)
- Lord Norton of Louth (Professor of Government at Hull University and former Chair of House of Lords Constitution Committee)
- Professor Dawn Oliver (Professor of Constitutional Law, UCL)
- Professor Rick Rawlings (Professor of Public Law at UCL and former Legal Adviser to the House of Lords Constitution Committee)
- Alexandra Runswick (Director, Unlock Democracy)
- Professor Meg Russell (Professor of British and Comparative Politics at UCL and Director, Constitution Unit)
- Sir Paul Silk KCB (Former Clerk to the National Assembly for Wales)
- Corey Stoughton (Advocacy Director, Liberty)
- Dr Tom West (Law and Policy Advisor, UK Environment ClientEarth)
- Hannah White (Institute for Government)
In partnership with