14th June 2019
Time: 09.00-18.00 (registration from 08.30)
followed by a drinks reception
Venue: Travers Smith LLP, 2-3 Hosier Lane, London EC1A 9LX
This one-day conference will consider current issues and common challenges facing the three regional court systems in Europe, Africa and the Americas: the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR); the African Commission and Court on Human and Peoples' Rights (ACHPR); and the Inter-American Commission and Court of Human Rights (IACtHR).
The event will bring together leading figures from the three regional systems, with participation expected from the President of the IACtHR, a sitting Judge of the ACHPR, and the Vice President of the ECtHR. The Rt Hon Lord Justice Singh of the Court of Appeal of England and Wales will talk on the domestic application of international judgments. The event will also be attended by leading international academics and practitioners, providing a unique opportunity for comparative review and dialogue.
- Dr Eduardo Ferrer Mac-Gregor Poisot, President of the IACtHR
- Mr Róbert Spanó, Vice President of the ECtHR
- Sir Rabinder Singh, Judge of the Court of Appeal of England and Wales
- Professor Kate O'Regan, Director of the Bonavero Institute of Human Rights and a former judge of the South African Constitutional Court
- Professor Rachel Murray, Professor of International Human Rights Law and Director of the Human Rights Implementation Centre, University of Bristol
- Dr Isaac De Paz González, The Autonomous University of Baja California, Tijuana
- Mr Gaye Sowe, Executive Director, Institute for Human Rights and Development in Africa (IHRDA)
- Professor Philip Leach, Professor of Human Rights Law and Director of the European Human Rights Advocacy Centre (EHRAC), Middlesex University
- Dr Par Engstrom, University College London
- Professor Aoife Nolan, Independent Expert to the European Committee of Social Rights; Professor of International Human Rights Law and Director of the Economic and Social Rights Unit, University of Nottingham
- Professor Clara Sandoval-Villalba, Professor of Law and Deputy-Director of the Essex Transitional Justice Network, University of Essex
- Ms Anne-Katrin Speck, Co-Director, European Implementation Network
- Ms Ximena Soley, Research Fellow, Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law
- Mr Joseph Whittal, Commissioner of Ghana's Commission on Human Rights and Administrative Justice
Join in the conversation @BinghamCentre #ProtectingHumanRights
Pricing and Registration
This is a a closed event open to invited participants only.
To request an invitation please email our Events team your name, position and affiliation and we will organise your attendance, subject to availability.
If you have any queries, please contact the Events team.
This event offers the equivalent of 7 hours.
Photography and audio recording
Please note that our events may be photographed or audio recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by the British Institute of International and Comparative Law. If you object to appearing in the photographs, please let our photographer know on the day. Alternatively, you can email BIICL Marketing Manager, Carmel Brown in advance of the event that you are attending.
Event Cancellation Policy
By registering for an event, you have confirmed that you have read and understood our event cancellation policy.