14th June 2019
Time: 10.00-18.30 (registration from 09.30)
Followed by a reception
Venue: Travers Smith LLP, 2-3 Hosier Lane, London EC1A 9LX
THIS EVENT IS NOW FULLY BOOKED
This one-day conference will consider current issues and common challenges facing the three regional court systems in Europe, Africa and the Americas: the European Court of Human Rights; the African Commission and Court on Human and Peoples' Rights; and the Inter-American Commission and Court of Human Rights.
The event will bring together leading figures from the three regional systems, including a Vice President of the ECtHR. The Rt Hon Lord Justice Singh of the Court of Appeal of England and Wales will talk on the domestic application of international judgments. The event will also be attended by leading international academics and practitioners, providing a unique opportunity for comparative review and dialogue.
- Professor Michael Addo, University of Notre Dame
- Professor Sarah Cleveland, Louis Henkin Professor of Human and Constitutional Rights at Columbia University and former Vice Chair of the UN Human Rights Committee
- Dr Isaac De Paz González, The Autonomous University of Baja California, Tijuana
- Dr Alice Donald, Middlesex University
- Dr Par Engstrom, University College London
- Dr Pablo González-Domínguez, Staff Attorney at the Inter-American Court of Human Rights
- Mr Murray Hunt, Director of the Bingham Centre for the Rule of Law
- Professor Philip Leach, Professor of Human Rights Law and Director of the European Human Rights Advocacy Centre (EHRAC), Middlesex University
- Dr Annelen Micus, Head of Programmes at the Bonavero Institute of Human Rights
- Professor Rachel Murray, Professor of International Human Rights Law and Director of the Human Rights Implementation Centre, University of Bristol
- Professor Aoife Nolan, Independent Expert to the European Committee of Social Rights; Professor of International Human Rights Law and Director of the Economic and Social Rights Unit, University of Nottingham
- Professor Kate O'Regan, Director of the Bonavero Institute of Human Rights and a former judge of the South African Constitutional Court
- Professor Clara Sandoval-Villalba, Professor of Law and Deputy-Director of the Essex Transitional Justice Network, University of Essex
- Lord Justice Rabinder Singh, Judge of the Court of Appeal of England and Wales
- Ms Ximena Soley, Research Fellow, Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law
- Mr Gaye Sowe, Executive Director, Institute for Human Rights and Development in Africa (IHRDA)
- Judge Róbert Spanó, Vice President of the European Court of Human Rights
- Ms Anne-Katrin Speck, Co-Director, European Implementation Network
- Mr Joseph Whittal, Commissioner of Ghana's Commission on Human Rights and Administrative Justice
View the Programme
Join in the conversation @BinghamCentre #ProtectingHumanRights
Pricing and Registration
THIS EVENT IS NOW FULLY BOOKED
If you have any queries, please contact the Events team.
This event offers the equivalent of 7 hours.
Photography and audio recording
Please note that our events may be photographed or audio recorded. These materials will be used for internal and external promotional purposes only by the British Institute of International and Comparative Law. If you object to appearing in the photographs, please let our photographer know on the day. Alternatively, you can email BIICL Marketing Manager, Carmel Brown in advance of the event that you are attending.
Event Cancellation Policy
By registering for an event, you have confirmed that you have read and understood our event cancellation policy.