Rule of Law: Five Years of Public Legal Education
On 13th January 2020 the Bingham Centre convened an event hosted by Travers Smith LLP. "Citizenship and the Rule of Law: Five Years of Public Legal Education" detailed major findings from the Bingham Centre's evaluation of its pioneering project teaching human rights and democracy in schools since 2014. The event also served as the launch event for a new Massive Open Online Course run collaboratively between the Bingham Centre, BIICL, the University of London and Coursera. Speakers for the event included:
- Chris Hale, Chair Emeritus of Travers Smith,
- Liz Moorse, CEO of the Association for Citizenship Teaching and UK Lead Expert at the Education Policy Advice Network for Democratic Citizenship and Human Rights,
- Professor Hugh Starkey, Professor of Citizenship and Human Rights Education at the University College London Institute of Education,
- Amanda Pinto QC, 2020 Chair of the General Council of the Bar of England and Wales,
- Lord Dr Hastings of Scarisbrick CBE, Crossbench Peer and Former Global Head of Corporate Citizenship for KPMG International/ Former Head of Public Affairs at the BBC,
- Professor Maggie Atkinson, former Children's Commissioner for England and Executive Chair of the North Yorkshire Safeguarding Children Partnership.
Attendees asked a variety of questions throughout the evening and contributed to thought-provoking discussions in this area.