The Bingham Centre for the Rule of Law, today announced the development of a creative new partnership with global law firm, Jones Day.
The partnership will see the launch in early 2015 of the Global Rule of Law Exchange (The Exchange), a programme of international events, research and other activities.
The Exchange will promote the rule of law around the world and will include seminars in the US and Europe, an annual conference in a developing country, and an annual round table and lecture with a US university. The Exchange will focus on development and the rule of law, encouraging debate and practical outcomes. It will generate a series of research papers published on its own website.
Topics likely to be covered by the Exchange will include;
- The relationship between rule of law, investment, growth and empowerment of the excluded;
- Combatting corruption and ways to establish good governance;
- Access to justice within national and international financial and other institutions;
- Emerging practices and approaches to monitoring and evaluation of rule of law projects, including in terms of sustainable development and law reform;
- Relations between formal and informal legal systems.
The exchange will be managed by a Senior Research Fellow based at the Bingham Centre in London. The position is currently being recruited. Jones Day will be the Bingham Centre's global partner on this initiative. Further, the Jones Day Foundation will be providing funding, initially for a three-year period.
Sir Jeffrey Jowell KCMG QC, Director of the Bingham Centre, welcomed this new initiative, saying, "This partnership with Jones Day significantly extends our capacity and international reach. The combination of activities facilitated by Jones Day and the Jones Day Foundation will help us to study and promote the rule of law where the need is greatest in the interest of good government, development and individual empowerment".
Read the full Press Release
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
Claudia Mansaray, Marketing Manager at the Bingham Centre:
T: 07977116729 / 020 7862 5435