The Bingham Centre within BIICL, is one of 18 partner organisations participating in a Horizon 2020 EU-funded project, 'Reconciling Europe with its Citizens through Democracy and the Rule of Law' (RECONNECT). This four-year multidisciplinary project focuses on strengthening the EU's legitimacy throughout Europe and seeks to assist the EU in becoming more attuned to the expectations of its citizens.
The Bingham Centre has a multifaceted role in RECONNECT. Along with the University of Leuven, we are co-leading the Communication, Dissemination and Exploitation strategy, including the project blog which published 60 posts in the first two years. At the substantive level, Bingham Centre researchers have contributed to working papers, which are part of project deliverables.
- Deliverable 7.1: 'Unity and Diversity in National Understandings of the Rule of Law in the EU' (April 2020)
- Deliverable 7.2 'Meaning and Scope of the EU Rule of Law' (April 2020)
- Blog: 'Rule of Law Safeguards in Times of Health Crises: A Decalogue' by Julinda Beqiraj and Jean-Pierre Gauci, 17 July 2020
- Blog: 'Will the UK Uphold its Commitment to Human Rights?' by Lucy Moxham and Oliver Garner, July 6, 2020
- Blog: 'Italy's COVID-19 Legislative Response: Adjusting Along the Way' by Julinda Beqiraj, April 8, 2020
- Blog: 'The EU-UK Future Relationship and the Rule of Law' by Oliver Garner and Jack Simson Caird, March 16, 2020
- Blog: 'Catching up with the Debate: Artificial Intelligence & the Rule of Law' by Ellis Paterson and Gemma McNeil-Walsh, October 14, 2019
- Blog: 'The Rule of Law Should be Taught in Schools' by Michael Abiodun Olatokun, June 17, 2019
- Blog: 'The Polish government's assault on judicial independence is part of a worldwide trend' by Murray Hunt, July 5, 2018
- 30 January 2020: Public event 'Is the rule of law too vague a notion to be monitored and enforced by the EU against backsliding Member States?', Bingham Centre, Middlesex University, London
- 6 June 2018: Roundtable 'Enhancing the Rule of Law in the EU', Bingham Centre, CER, Middlesex University, Brussels